Wednesday, July 10, 2013

How far would you go to have a missing part of a bone back?

Ceramic Bones

This article that I came across offers quite a discovery when it comes to the question: What all can we use glass for? You would never think to respond with...bones. However, doctors have discovered that ceramic is non-reactive with the body's chemicals.

Question #1: Why would we need this discovery if our bones heal themselves?
Question #2: Do our bones heal themselves back? Completely?
Question #3: How far would you go to have a normal life back?

As I approach 30 very soon, I look back on some of the injuries that I have had in the past. I was a cheerleader all through school starting in 2nd grade going to 12th grade. It was my life until I was dropped from about 7 feet in the air while my knee completely bent backwards. I was told to keep my knees locked! Anyways...3 years later I decide to visit a doctor to see how much damage I had done and how I shouldn't have waited so long to see a doctor. I had a small surgery after my MRI for the doctor to just scope. He scoped alright...he stuck the scope in and pulled it right back out. Woke me up out of surgery to get my consent with my parents to do a whole knee replacement (the same day). He couldn't believe that I had walked on my knee and cheered for that long. I think it was the only time a doctor has ever said the word stupid towards me.

Two days later I was released from the hospital with a brand new knee. I started therapy and was back to normal within 2 years. Luckily today...I have to think which knee it was that I had surgery on...Dr. Lovejoy is my hero.

So back to the article...I may have not had to go through a completely knee replacement at the age of 16 if this kind of technology would have been around. The doctors can add ceramic to the end of bone to create what has been broken or has deteriorated (in my case). The body automatically starts to adhere to the "new bone" and starts over like new. Pretty amazing!

An answer to the questions above:
1. Not all bones heal themselves. It all depends on the deterioration or break of the bone.

2. Some do, yes. But not all breaks can heal and not all deteriorated bone can heal fast enough.

3. Pretty far...considering my past history with this type of discovery.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your knee. Your story showed the importance of the use of ceramic to help replace knees. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete